Saturday, April 7

I'm Dreaming of a White... Easter...


I double-checked the calendar, and yes, it really is April. Ma Nature must be getting her kicks this year by switching up Christmas weather with Easter weather. That's really all I can come up with to explain... well, this.

See the poor little 'Matrona' sedum stem sticking out from the top of one of my chimney tile planters? I had just pinched it back for the first time on Monday. There is garlic planted between it and the blueberry whose branches you see on the left. The garlic is--was--about 8 inches tall. Since we "only" have about 6 inches of the white stuff now, I'm guessing that it has been flattened and buried. It handled similar treatment just fine throughout the month of February, so I'm not too worried about it now.

Speaking of buried, those unexpected red and yellow tulips would be much more welcome right now... except that you can't see them at all. Like the 'Bressingham Ruby' bergenia, carex buchanii, heucheras, hellebores, and all the rest, they are all tucked in underneath a blanket of white in the front garden.

In the backyard, the pyracantha that I am training as a wall shrub was bent horizontal and heavy with snow. After taking this picture I gently brushed off the largest clumps of snow so it wasn't too stressed, but left a little for interest.

I have also had to brush several inches of snow off of the new platform bird feeder that we put out this week. After each cleaning, I discovered that it needed to be refilled as well. The birds have been relying heavily on us this weekend, so I'm glad that we have a half bag of black oil sunflower seeds on hand. The roads today are an adventure, to say the least...

7 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

Drive carefully Blackswamp girl.Does it normally snow in April?Its very christmasy but wrong time of year.Do you think the tulips will survivie?I love the pyrocanthus with snow on it.Hope it melts soon so you can get back into the garden to assess whats been squashed!

Gotta Garden said...

We only got a dusting compared to you and it is gone today (thankfully). What a spring! My neighbor has a beautiful yellow flowered saucer magnolia that was just coming into bloom...I see today they are brown...

Garlic is tough as nails...one of the reasons I like to grow it...

Unknown said...

Snappy, snow in April is not all that unusual... but having snow that actually sticks to the ground, and especially in this quantity, is! The bad part is, it's still snowing--and it's going to be so cold all week that I have no idea when this stuff might finally go away. :(

gotta garden, aww. That's terrible about the magnolia. They're so magnificent when you get a good spring bloom out of them!

Anita said...

Oh now, another garden blogger who is suffering from snow on Easter!

I cross my fingers that the warm and sunny spring days will arrive at your place soon, too! In the meantime, I am sending you my warmest wishes for a blessed Easter!

Greetings from Germany!
Anita

EAL said...

Very little snow here, but my hellebores look like, well, hell with the freezing temps. I hope they bounce back--it's some comfort to know that 2/3 of the country, including much of the south, has this. In Buffalo, we're usually the only ones.

kate said...

It's incredible to go from seen tulips in bloom and various flowering shrubs to this - snow!

Take heart in that my pond is still frozen. My garden resembles petrified rocks and I wonder if we will ever get above freezing temps.

I did buy some roses to put on the table though ...

These pictures are amazing.

lisa said...

The birds are really chowing down here, too (even though I've only gotten a couple dustings)...the birdwatching sites say that March/April are the times birds need the most help-last year's wild seeds are all eaten, and nothing's growing yet (especially now!)...so you are an excellent hostess for helping them out!

Post a Comment

One of my favorite things about blogging is the interaction--posts are often simply the beginning of an interesting conversation! So thanks for taking the time to join the discussion, and please know that I enjoy reading each and every comment left here. I try to answer as many as I can.