Wednesday, April 13

Both Pretty and Deadly

Pretty to me, deadly to insects, that is! I'm taking care of my boyfriend's mail while he's out of town for work, and I just had to snap a photo or two of his blooming pitcher plant during today's visit. (Of course it would bloom for the first time ever this week--isn't that Murphy's 5th Law of Tending Plants or something?)


At this point of the year, the pitchers are just starting to come back from their semi-dormant winter state, and the nearby venus fly trap has dozens of tiny baby traps that are beginning to emerge. Steve cut back the flower stems on the fly trap, but it seems as though letting sarracenia bloom is not nearly as harmful to the plant. He didn't want to mess with it too much, though, so he did save the task of trimming back dried pitchers until after the plant is finished flowering.

We've been dating now for more than two years, so I think that this will be the second successful overwintering for both of these carnivorous plants. (Yes, I started buying him plants for his apartment the first summer that we were together. The man needed some life in there to wake up the white walls!)  It amazes me that they do so well for him, but they live in a south-facing window and he has a warm, 6th-floor apartment. Both are key for these guys, it seems.

I'm more of a succulent girl than a fussy-plant kind of girl, but they're very fun plants and I'm glad that he grows them. This way, I get to enjoy them when I visit... and he can do all the work that they require!  :)

7 comments:

growingagardenindavis said...

I am totally impressed that he has them doing so well! I had a venus flytrap but think the kids overfed it. And this is interesting, the word verification is cocol! Not sure why they added the 'l'.

Unknown said...

Leslie, yeah, it works out beautifully: He likes to fuss and water, so I'm getting him to grow all of the difficult plants that I can't seem to take care of well enough, lol.

And awwww re: the word verification. :) My girl is going to be TEN in just a couple of weeks. I don't know how I got so lucky, having such a great dog for so long!

Stratoz said...

wonderful for him. I have had limited experience with failures with such plants.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Ihave never seen them successfully grown by anyone. Wow. He must have a green thumb whether he knew it ornot.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I've tried to grow Pitcher Plants and they just don't like me. Perhaps they're getting 'over fed' what with all the bugs in my sunny window. :)

Layanee said...

I think those plants are classified as 'Man Plants' along with cactus and giant vegetables. Good for you for greening him up a bit.

Unknown said...

Stratoz and Greenbow Lisa, me too! I think that these are a good match for him, though.

High Altitude Kate, heehee... that might be it. :)

Layanee, LOL! Good point--I might see whether he wants to grow me some giant pumpkins next!

Post a Comment

One of my favorite things about blogging is the interaction--posts are often simply the beginning of an interesting conversation! So thanks for taking the time to join the discussion, and please know that I enjoy reading each and every comment left here. I try to answer as many as I can.